Skip to content

Explore Your Future!

We offer what you need to achieve success. Come explore and find out why so many students have decided to call one of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District the pathway to their future.

Not sure where to start? Our Career Assessment Tool can help.


Welcome to ACES

Alamo Colleges Education Services is a secure portal connecting Faculty, Staff & Students to Academic Resources, Email, and other Online Resources.

Support Contacts Helpdesk (210) 485-0555 Weather Line (210) 485-0189


Login to ACES

ACES login


Alamo Colleges' Library Information

St. Philip's College
• MLK Campus Library
• Southwest Campus Library

What law is being followed?


Beginning January 2012, Texas State law (SB 1107) mandates all entering students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration.  Students may also submit approved conscience exemption form from the Texas Department of State Health Services.



What is bacterial meningitis?

Bacterial meningitis is a serious, potentially deadly disease that can progress extremely fast. It is an inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. This disease strikes about 1 in 20,000 people each year with the highest incident rate in 16-25 year olds. There is treatment, but those who survive may develop severe health problems or disabilities.

Common symptoms of bacterial meningitis:

  • Sudden onset of fever
  • Severe headache
  • Stiff neck
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Light sensitivity
  • Confusion and sleepiness
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures

If you have symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Early diagnosis and treatment is very important. Diagnosis is made by a medical provider and is usually based on a combination of clinical symptoms and laboratory results from spinal fluid and blood tests.

The disease is transmitted when people exchange saliva or come in contact with respiratory or throat secretions of an infected person.

Possible complications of bacterial meningitis:

  • Permanent brain damage
  • Kidney failure
  • Learning disability
  • Hearing and/or vision loss
  • Limb damage that require amputation of toes, fingers, arms or legs
  • Coma
  • Convulsions
  • Death

The disease can be treated with antibiotics. If received early can save lives and increase chances of recovery. The vaccines available are safe and highly effective.


Who is required to comply with the Meningitis Vaccination Law?

  • All new, transfer or transient students under age 22.
  • Students enrolled in online or dual credit courses who physically attend classes at any of the Alamo Colleges.
  • New or returning continuing education students under the age of 22 enrolled in a course or program that is at least 360 contact hours.
    • Northwest Vista College – Personal Fitness Trainer
    • St. Philip’s College – Massage Therapy
    • San Antonio College – Law Enforcement (BPO) an EMT/Paramedic


What if I have a temporary condition that does not allow me to receive the vaccination at this time?

Students receiving postponement due to illness must still meet the deadline of submitting Bacterial Meningitis vaccination documentation no later than 10 days prior to the start of the semester.

What documents are needed to meet this requirement?

  • Proof of bacterial meningitis vaccination OR appropriate waiver
    • All documentation must be in English
    • Vaccination documents must include
      • The type of vaccine
      • The month, date and year the vaccine was administered
      • The agency name and address where the vaccine was received with the medical professionals signature
    • o Acceptable proof of vaccination includes:
      • A form with the above information and the signature or stamp of a physician or designee, or public health personnel
      • An official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority
      • An official record received from school officials, including a record from another state
    • Waiver documents must be completely filled out, and notarized if required
    • Waivers include:
      • Medical – an affidavit or certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States, in which it is stated that, in the physician’s opinion, the vaccination required would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student
      • Reasons of conscience – an affidavit signed by the student stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. A conscientious exemption form from the Texas Department of State Health Services must be used.
      • Age – if the student is 22 years of age or older by the first day of the start of the semester
      • Online or distance education – Students who are registered for only online classes may waive the requirement for the bacterial meningitis vaccination. The form can be found at:
  •  Magnus barcode cover sheet if documents are mailed or faxed


How do I access my ACES account?

Use the link below for information on using ACES, obtaining your ACES user name and Banner ID.

What is the Magnus Health document retention fee?

Students will now be responsible for a $10.00 retention fee paid directly to Magnus Health.

Where do I send the required documentation?

Documents will no longer be submitted to any of the Alamo Colleges.

All documents must be sent to Magnus Health. The direct link to Magnus can be found in your ACES account on the Student tab. The Magnus link in ACES will provide you with the direct upload process, the company’s fax number and mailing address and the cover page for mailing or faxing documents.


Where on Campus can I access a computer to send my papers to Magnus Health?

Students can use the following computer labs to upload their documents to Magnus Health.

  • Northeast Lakeview College – Student Commons (STCM) Room 204
  • Northwest Vista College – Cypress Campus Center (CCC) Room 200
  • Palo Alto College – Palomino Center (PC) Room 103
  • St. Philip’s College – Welcome Center Room 202 and Norris Tech Bldg (NTB) Room 116
  • San Antonio College – Welcome Center - Corner of N Main and Park Ave.
  • Greater Kerrville Center – Main Office Room 100
  • Central Texas Technology Center (CTTC) – Welcome Center Room 100

What is considered an acceptable meningitis vaccine?

The meningitis vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are MCV4 and MPSV4 which offer the protection for meningitis groups A, C, Y and W-135. MCV4 and MPSV4 are the only vaccines currently accepted. Please visit the CDC website for more information.

The Texas Department of State Health Services and the American College Health Association Immunization Guidelines agree with the CDC recommendation.


Which students are exempt from receiving the vaccination?

  • All students 22 years of age or older by the first class day of the semester/CE term.
  • Students who provide:
    • An affidavit or a certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States, in which it is stated that, in the physician’s opinion, the vaccination required would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student.
    • A Texas Department of State Health Services conscience exemption form or  Follow the individual directions carefully.

I am active duty military, do I need to have the meningitis vaccination?

·      Active duty military students will need to show proof of having the bacterial meningitis vaccination.  The Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations pertaining to meningitis are in 19 TAC 21.613 (vaccination requirements) and 21.614 (exceptions), which is under Title 19, Education, Chapter 21, Student Services.  The exceptions in 21.614 do not include active duty military.

·      The waivers for medical necessity, conscience exemption and taking online courses only do pertain.

I’ve had the vaccine; do I need to get it again?

 The bacterial meningitis vaccination expires five years after the date it is received. The vaccination must be within the five years on the first day of classes for the semester starting.

What is the latest I can get my vaccination?

 The vaccine must be in the body a minimum of 10 days before starting classes.

When should I comply with the vaccination requirements?

  •  Newly admitted students should obtain the required vaccination and documentation upon submitting your application*
  • Returning students should obtain the required vaccination or booster and submit documentation before they will be able to register for the semester.

*Proof of vaccination is not required to be considered for admission.

Once I submit my documentation, how do I know if it has been approved?

The hold will be removed.  Students can log onto ACES and access their student account, or they can access their Magnus account through ACES to check the status. 

What are the common reasons you would not accept my documentation for proof of bacterial meningitis immunization?

The most common reasons include:

• Record is not legible – the copy is not clear or important information is cut off.
• Documentation is not recognized – many doctors will use their own form of abbreviation or documentation that cannot be deciphered.
• Incomplete dates – dates must include the day, month and year.
• Invalid vaccine – documentation submitted does not include the specific type of bacterial meningitis vaccine or is for an unacceptable vaccine or the vaccination is too old.


What happen if I don't provide the necessary documentation?

You will not be able to register for classes until the proper documentation is received.

Where can students get the bacterial meningitis vaccine (including those without insurance)?

The bacterial meningitis vaccine is available at most doctors’ offices and private clinics, many large pharmacy chains, and some minor emergency centers or medi-clinics.  It is best to call to make an appointment at most of these sites.

Students with medical insurance, Medicaid or CHIP: 

The first thing is to make sure your insurance covers the immunization.  Then contact your established medical provider to see if they offer the vaccine.  If you choose to go to a different facility please call to be sure they accept your insurance.

Students without medical insurance or whose insurance does not cover the bacterial meningitis vaccine: 

·      If the student is 18 or younger they may qualify for the Texas Vaccines for Children Program.  The United Way helpline, 211, will help find providers who participate in this program.

·      Many health departments offer the meningitis vaccine as part of children and adult immunizations programs.  You should call to confirm that they offer the meningitis vaccine for the student’s age and circumstances.  A list of “full service” city and county health departments in Texas can be found at  

·      In San Antonio, the University Health System will provide certain vaccinations at their clinics.  Be sure to call to confirm the clinic you choose offers the bacterial meningitis vaccine.  You can get the list of clinics at look for the “Clinic Information” section.

What if I am an International student?

Will a vaccination from my home country fulfill the Alamo Colleges requirements? 

A vaccination record from a country outside the U.S. can meet the requirements, if the vaccine given meets the CDC requirements and if the vaccination record is in English.  If the vaccination record is in a language other than English, an English translation of the document will be required.


How far in advance should I plan to arrive in the U.S. in order to receive the vaccination? 

If you plan to receive the vaccine in the U.S. you should arrive no later than 3 weeks prior to the first day of classes.  This will give you enough time for the 10 day waiting period and time for your documents to be processed.  You must receive the vaccination at least 10 days before the first day of classes for the semester.


Can I present medical documentation from my country in order to get an exemption due to medical reasons?  

Unfortunately, the law requires that you visit a doctor in the U.S. to be able to get an exemption for medical reasons.  We suggest that you bring an English translation of your records with you, so that you can present them to a U.S. physician.  Be sure your travel arrangements will give you enough time to see a physician in the U.S. and submit your documentation to the college.


How can I get an exemption for reasons of conscience?  

You must follow the same guidelines and procedures outline for domestic students.  Please visit the Texas Department of State Health Services for more information.  

Who should I call if I still have questions?

            For information about bacterial meningitis and the vaccination, contact the CDC at: 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636)


            For information regarding your Magnus access, acceptable documentation, document review time or status of review, contact Magnus Health at: 1-877-461-6831